What to do with .flv files?

Daniel Armstrong dwarmstrong-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 23 20:57:38 UTC 2006

On 11/22/06, Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Kaffeine and Xine will play the files' video but not audio.
> Mplayer will play video and audio it but won't recognize FLVs as video
> files.
> ffmpeg says it recognizes the format but gives me errors when I try to
> convert flv files to mpg.
>
> Does anyone here have suggestions on
> 1) how to get xine to play the video
> 2) how to get ffmpeg (or any other tool) to convert them to another format

I use the 'youtube-dl' script to download the videos:

http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/08/11/197251&tid=47

...and ffmpeg converts the *.flv files to *.avi files:

ffmpeg -i <file>.flv <file>.avi

Audio and video are synced in Kaffeine, xine, mplayer, etc. My version
of ffmpeg is a debian pkg, ver. 20060814-0.3

--
Daniel Wayne Armstrong
:: build_it_yourself biology      http://biohackery.com ::