What to do with .flv files?

Charles philip Chan cpchan-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 23 16:02:02 UTC 2006

On 22 Nov 2006, evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org wrote:

> I think this is "google video" format, and it's giving me headaches.

No, flv is Flash video.

> Mplayer will play video and audio it but won't recognize FLVs as video
> files.

Strange, mplayer have been able to play flv file for quite a while
now. I have no problems with any flv files that I have encountered on
the Net (e.g.: youtube). I guess it depends on the mplayer version you
have and how it is built. My mplayer is self compiled from svn and the
version is:

         MPlayer dev-SVN-r20497-3.3.3

According to the CHANGELOG from mplayer, the flv support was add in:

         MPLayer 1.0pre7: "PatentCounter"

dated April 16, 2005. The support comes from avformat in the ffmpeg
version included in the mplayer source.

> Does anyone here have suggestions on
> 1) how to get xine to play the video

Try compiling it with a nore recent version of ffmpeg from svn:

    http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/download.html

> 2) how to get ffmpeg (or any other tool) to convert them to another
>    format

If you can't get them to play, there is no point in trying to convert
them. :-)

Charles

--
"It's God.  No, not Richard Stallman, or Linus Torvalds, but God."
(By Matt Welsh)