What to do with .flv files?

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 23 07:22:36 UTC 2006

JoeHill wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 22:37:21 -0500
> Evan Leibovitch got an infinite number of monkeys to type out:
>

>> 2) how to get ffmpeg (or any other tool) to convert them to another format
>>

> Whoa. That's weird. I just happened to be reading this:
>
> http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/08/22/2121258&tid=39

Boy, that was a quick answer... thanks!

FYI, I followed the instructions and it works ... sorta.
The script mentioned can create DIVX or XVID codec avi files.

I used the Michael Richards meltdown video from YouTube as my sample.

Here are the file sizes:
richards1.flv 6861361 (original file)
richards1-xvid.avi 10553674
richards1-divx.avi 11180502

Even with the larger sizes, the conversion process loses many frames and
the video and audio get out of sync pretty quickly.

- Evan