Novell Microsoft, Redux

Simon simon80-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 23 00:20:16 UTC 2006

Take a look at the big picture here:  Microsoft enters a patent
cross-licensing agreement in which the net result is that Microsoft
_pays_ Novell.  Microsoft then goes on to state that they made the
deal because they wanted to cash in on their IP, which Linux uses!
So, basically, Microsoft has made a deal wherein they pay Novell and
try to direct business to them, and in return, they are provided with
plenty of FUD ammunition from what ostensibly is the purpose of the
deal.  Novell sells out, Microsoft spreads FUD, and everybody else
gets confused.  I'd suspected this a couple of days after the deal was
announced, after reading a negative opinion or two, but now I would
say that it's clear that this was the intended purpose of the deal.

Simon