32 bit vs. 64 bit kernel

Ian Petersen ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 21 00:33:54 UTC 2006

> > So what would I see on, for example, a 64-bit system running a 32-bit
> > kernel?

<snip>

> (I don't have a 64-bit system running a 32-bit kernel so I can't exactly
> test this scenario using the above commands. Maybe someone else here can
> confirm or deny the utility of this combination. YMMV)

I could be wrong here, but I think a 64-bit userland on a 32-bit
kernel is impossible.  32-on-64 should be possible, and obviously
64-on-64 and 32-on-32 are both fine.

For reference, I'm running a 32-bit userland and a 32-bit kernel all
on a 64-bit chip and here are my results:

ian at frodo ~ $ uname -m
i686
ian at frodo ~ $ uname -p
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+
ian at frodo ~ $ uname -a
Linux frodo 2.6.17-gentoo-r4 #7 SMP PREEMPT Fri Sep 8 01:38:05 EDT
2006 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ AuthenticAMD
GNU/Linux

Ian

--
Tired of pop-ups, security holes, and spyware?
Try Firefox: http://www.getfirefox.com