EMACS and Lisp

Charles philip Chan cpchan-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 20 21:04:31 UTC 2006

On 20 Nov 2006, cpchan-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org wrote:

>> 2.  How does Lisp work?  Is it interpreted like Perl or Python, or
>> compiled like C?
>
> It is interpreted, although the files can be byte compiled like Java.

Sorry for giving you some wrong info. Marc Evelyn reminded me that there
are dilects of lisp that can compiled into native code. I was thinking
about elisp.

>> How portable is it - if I installed it at work on a
>> Windoze machine, would the Lisp code I write on Linux work?
>
> It is portable within Emacs on any platform.

I should rephrase that. You might have to recompile with the bytecode
version and certainly with the native code version.

>> Any personal experiences to share or resources to recommend?  Thanks.
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org

Other than the usual programming stuff, here are some cool Emacs lisp
programs to check out:

(1) Muse: http://www.mwolson.org/projects/EmacsMuse.html

(2) Planner-mode: http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en/PlannerMode

(3) Gnus: http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en?CategoryGnus

(4) Org-mode: http://staff.science.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/ is pretty
    cool too.

Charles

--
"Besides, I think [Slackware] sounds better than 'Microsoft,' don't you?"
(By Patrick Volkerding)