Any "out-of-the-box" PVRs or "digital VCRs"?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 20 16:41:42 UTC 2006

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 08:14:02PM -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:
>   I'd like to record HDTV off the air. I've got an HDTV tuner hooked up
> to my 19" NTSC TV.  The picture quality is stunning, even on an analog
> TV.  I'm looking at getting a real HDTV after the Superbowl, as prices
> continue to slide.
>
>   So my question is... can I buy a ready-to-go PVR that works
> out-of-the-box?  I'm not picky, as long as it doesn't involve a
> subscription, like TIVO.  I want to be in control of my own destiny.  I
> won't be connecting to the internet with it, so even Windows is safe (I
> did say I wasn't picky<g>).  I would prefer linux with MythTV or
> whatever, but I'm getting too lazy to "enjoy the adventure" of building
> my own, and I'm willing to pay extra to have it ready to go.

Not sure there are any.  of course rogers and some of the satelite
companies have ready to use out of the box PVRs for their service,
although rather expensive usually.  pchdtv.com has some cards that work
with linux for receiving ATSC HDTV signals (and in the case of the 3000
and 5500 they can apparently also receive certain cable formats,
although that is of no use given rogers encrypts all their HDTV stations
as far as I know.)

--
Len Sorensen