Outage?

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 20 16:01:46 UTC 2006

On 11/20/06, William O'Higgins Witteman <william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>
wrote:

> Is there any explanation for the list outage last week?  I assume there
> was an outage because I only got two emails from the list between the
> 14th and this morning, when I got over 50, and Gmane seemed to agree
> with me.  Or am I just crazy ;-)
>
> (shut up, shut up, they'll hear you)

True story: I once dealt with a network provider whose service was a little
spotty; one day, all of my transactions were being 'lost' -- at the network
level I'd get an ACK that they'd been received, then .. nothing (I should
have received either a response or a timeout). When I followed up, the
sysadmin told me the transaction was probably delayed because of 'snow on
the lines'.

I paused to consider explaining to her on how many levels she might be
wrong, then decided that someone who was trying to use that excuse for a
network problem was either a) not really equipped to help me solve the
problem or b) pulling my leg. I decided the best approach was just to accept
that story and wait for the network service to return -- allowing her to
save face, and allowing me to retain my sanity.

So .. maybe there were, like, birds on the wire going to the mail list
server, that allowed it to receive mail but not forward mail?

--
Alex Beamish
Toronto, Ontario