EMACS and Lisp

Mon Nov 20 15:51:19 UTC 2006

I have heard a great deal of talk about Emacs and Lisp, some of it
plainly inflammatory, but much of it seemingly well-reasoned and sane,
from people whose opinions I tend to trust.  I wanted to try these
things out, but I have some questions:

1.  Can I get Emacs to run in a terminal?  When ever I launch it, it
opens up a separate window, which doesn't work for me when I am logged
in remotely.

2.  How does Lisp work?  Is it interpreted like Perl or Python, or
compiled like C?  How portable is it - if I installed it at work on a
Windoze machine, would the Lisp code I write on Linux work?

3.  Which Lisp?  I hear Lisp spoken of in the same sentence as Smalltalk
and Scheme - are they mostly the same?  Is common Lisp the way to go?

Any personal experiences to share or resources to recommend?  Thanks.
--

yours,

William