Key-based SSH authentication

G. Matthew Rice matt-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 20 15:34:52 UTC 2006

William O'Higgins Witteman <william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> writes:
> Changing PasswordAuthentication to "no" doesn't work, because it has
> always been set to "no".

Are you certain?  from the sshd_config man page:

     PasswordAuthentication
             Specifies whether password authentication is allowed.  The
             default is ``yes''.

Maybe I missed something in your earlier e-mail and am answering a different
question. :)

> The advice to open up a second session to use as a bail-out was
> essential - I didn't realize that an SSH session will persist even when
> you restart the daemon.  Neat.

That's the same for most (all?) daemons of this sort.  Stopping the service
will kill the daemon listening on the service's port (ie. no more new
connections) but any children will continue running.

Regards,
--
g. matthew rice <matt-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>           starnix, toronto, ontario, ca
phone: 647.722.5301 x242                                  gpg id: EF9AAD20