Key-based SSH authentication

G. Matthew Rice matt-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 20 13:57:28 UTC 2006

William O'Higgins Witteman <william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> writes:
> The thing is, once I have set up key-based authentication, I am
> going to want to disable password-based authentication.  I'm not quite
> sure how to do that, and it would make me very sad if I locked myself
> out by mistake.  I am using Debian testing and OpenSSH_4.3p2.  Thanks.

Leave an ssh session open and su'ed to root then change the setting:

        PasswordAuthentication

to 'no' in /etc/ssh/sshd_config.  Then restart sshd (probably in that ssh
session I mentioned above).

Also, I've started doing some short talks (5-10 minutes) at each NewTLUG
meeting.  The next one is going to be an SSH primer.

HTH,
--
g. matthew rice <matt-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>           starnix, toronto, ontario, ca
phone: 647.722.5301 x242                                  gpg id: EF9AAD20