Installed USB2 Card

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 14 14:14:28 UTC 2006

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 05:28:31PM -0500, John M. Moniz wrote:
> I just installed a USB2.0 PCI card to my PC running on FC4 and now the
> PC is not behaving. It's very slow and it locks when I try to get a
> console while in KDE (Ctrl-Alt-Fn). Is there some module I need
> installed? I now use USB 1.1 without problems (built in to the ATX
> motherboard). Or could my PC be too slow for USB 2? It's an AMD K6-II
> 550MHz w/ 640MB RAM, which is old but has been fast enough for me to
> this point.
>
> If I am reading dmesg correctly, Linux is detecting USB 2. When I
> plugged an ipod shuffle to the new card, the ipod came up as a removable
> drive but the entire machine was crawling at about a 100Mhz speed.
>
> Any helpful tips would be appreciated.

Which kind of USB2 card?  What is the chip on it?  I wonder if you have
a defective card, or a card with a badly behaved chip.  Or maybe you
you have it on the same irq as something which doesn't like sharing (USB
should never mind sharing, but some other devices are not as well
designed).  Does the card share an irq with another device in the
system?

--
Len Sorensen