Listing installed packages in Debian Sarge

Andrej Marjan amarjan-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 14 21:07:22 UTC 2006

Meng Cheah wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm checking out a Debian Sarge system.
> I'm running the commands below to find out what packages are installed.
>
> apt-cache pkgnames --installed
> less /var/lib/dpkg/available
> dpkg -l
>
> Any suggestions, alternatives or gotchas as to the above?
> I understand that dpkg -l displays installed packages as well as
> removed packages.
> How do I show only the installed packages?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Meng Cheah

In your first command, '--installed' is superfluous, it only modifies
depends and rdepends.

dpkg --get-selections: will show you everything ever installed that
hasn't been purged. Just grep the output, and check the manpage for dpkg.

Prefix dpkg -l with COLUMNS=200 or something for a half-sane display.