Novell Microsoft, Redux

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 17 16:17:37 UTC 2006

So I saw this today:
http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;839593139;fp;16;fpid;1

Just when you thought the fuss had died down...

"In a question-and-answer session after his keynote speech at the
Professional Association for SQL Server (PASS) conference in Seattle,
Ballmer said Microsoft was motivated to sign a deal with SUSE Linux
distributor Novell earlier this month because Linux "uses our
intellectual property" and Microsoft wanted to "get the appropriate
economic return for our shareholders from our innovation.""

and

"Only customers that use SUSE have paid properly for intellectual
property from Microsoft," he said. "We are willing to do a deal with Red
Hat and other Linux distributors." The deal with SUSE Linux "is not
exclusive," Ballmer added.

Outrageous.