Fedora Core 6 updates are voluminous

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 19 21:49:53 UTC 2006

I keep a copy of Fedora updates for systems that I run.

I just downloaded all the FC6 updates for i386, x86_64, and the source
RPMs.  Not including the debugging symbols.  They are huge:
$ du
3968    ./i386/repodata
8       ./i386/debug
1793788 ./i386
4652    ./x86_64/repodata
8       ./x86_64/debug
1420688 ./x86_64
736     ./SRPMS/repodata
1200728 ./SRPMS
4415212 .

This says something about FC6, but I don't know what.  Very actively
updated?  Full of bugs that needed fixing?  Released before ready?

A du on just x86_64 reports 2127388 blocks so there is a lot of
sharing (using hard links) between the two architectures updates.

The updates include (all of?) Open Office.  This is 32-bit only so is
shared.

There is a lot (perhaps all) of KDE that has been updated.

It feels like time for a respin of the release disks.  The updates for
i386 would fill three CDs.  For x86_64: 4 cds.  The original release
for i386 was only 5 CDs (plus a rescue CD).

I've actually only tried to install FC6 on one machine.  The installation
hung very late in the install.  But then again Ubuntu 6.10 and 6.06
installations hung too.  The fix for Ubuntu (and I would guess, for FC6)
was to unplug the added video card, install, then add the video card back.