linuxcaffe workskop ideas

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 13 13:37:53 UTC 2006

On 12/11/06, Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> At what point does this overlap with NewTLUG (the Toronto Linux User
> Group - new users SIG)?
Maybe a fair bit, but I really see it as a cross-promotional
opportunity, not competition. NewTLUG meetings feature really
interesting topics, and a warm, fun, open atmosphere. I've only been
to a handful of gatherings, and I highly recommend it.  but
personally, I find the location(s) daunting.

> We have regular presentations on CLI, interesting tools (last month I
> gave a presentation on the file synchronization program Unison and Gerry
> Singleton from the OpenOffice team gave a demo of its new features).
I saw these coming up and kicked myself 'cause I couldn't go. It
wouldn't be a bad thing if these topics we explored again and again,
here and there. It's not like we're gonna run outta newbies OR
hardcore geeks.

> TLUG has already recently done a MythTV workshop.
which I was proud to promote on the front page of my website for a week !
I would have liked to attend that one, too, but does that mean the
MythTV this is, like, done ? like, there's nobody else who would
attend such a thing for, like 6 months, or something ?
If linuxcaffe were to put on an excellent MythTV workshop, with maybe
some video and podcasting, would that detract in any way from the next
time NewTLUG (or Colin) wants to do something like it ? I don't think
so. We should be bouncing speakers and topics between groups,
deliberately increasing awareness of the topical and geographical
diversity, and bringing activity to every level of user, in every part
of the city, not trying to carve up the market. Hundreds, if not
thousands of people have learned of the existence of linux from this
goofy little open source obsessed coffee shop. I fully intend to
continue explorations and celebrations of the theme, and to help raise
awareness of the diverse related communities. Successful activities at
linuxcaffe will promote NewTLUG (TLUG, KWLUG, PyGTA etc.) user groups,
not detract from them.

> Perhaps, if the interest exists, I would like to suggest to maintain the
> Linuxcaffe workshops as perhaps applicable to the very newest -- curious
> to FOSS, just installing or  just installed --
Uhh sorry, no can do. linuxcaffe is swarming with n00bs, true, but we
are also frequented scores of professional coders, a handful of
CompSci luminaries. and lots and lots of folks who have no idea what
linux is about. We will be doing workshops on a wide range of
subjects, and I sincerely hope that it won't be seen as "cutting
anybodies grass".

and think of NewTLUG as a
> slightly higher level.
but you welcome both total n00bs and seasoned Sysadmins, right ? me too !

> That way, the Toronto area might be served multiple ways by its users
> with no redundancy:
but haven't we learned from our hardware setups that redundancy is a
good thing ?

> absolute beginners -- Ubuntu workshops
> intermediate -- NewTLUG
> advanced/developers -- TLUG
interesting on first blush, but my experience belies this arrangement
as each above mentioned group already has something to offer each
level of user. To tell an intermediate user that his/her level is
served only in North York, or Markham, seems disingenuous. Conversely,
to tell a new convert, or long time Unix administrator, who lives on
Steeles, that the right place for him/her to meet is downtown, doesn't
ring true, either. Primary focus for a group is a good thing, but I
feel strongly that as this big wave of open source adoption comes
crashing in, that we had all better get inclusive and co-operative.
This iceberg is big enough for all of us penguins, we just need to get
better at huddling together.

djp

djp-tnsZcVQxgqO2dHQpreyxbg at public.gmane.org
www.linuxcaffe.ca