linuxcaffe workskop ideas

Interlug interlug-vSRlqIl1h/9eoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 13 05:17:11 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-12-11 at 22:03 -0500, John Macdonald wrote:
> I'd figure that Linux Cafe, because of its limited size,
> is better suited to smaller topics.  That often would mean
> a specialized advanced topic that not many people are ready
> to work with at the same time.

I disagree, slightly.  "smaller groups" yes.  But I feel this is ideal
for very introductory level coaching.  Perhaps one to one?  Often the
newest users don't know how to ask a question in the Linux context.
With a smaller group the presentation can be more interactive (more like
a discussion).  This can sort out issues like "share folders? Oh you
want to google samba."

On the other hand, I did see David shoe-horn 18 folks (in two groups)
into the cafe.  It just may be that he's warping space-time.  But that's
an issue for Toronto Temporal Bylaw officers, not this list.

> But the Cafe is a commercial venture and has to choose, in
> part, based on what will make a sufficient profit to keep
> the enterprise going, which might conflict sometimes with
> the *TLUG activities.

I don't see a conflict.  Are Linux resources so thin in Toronto that a
10 to 20 person presentation in a nice cafe will prevent attendance at a
similar presentation at TLUG?  What I do see is an opportunity.  Do you
think any of your members light like to present a topic to a smaller
group first, before tackling the larger group?  You might even get some
new presenters by offering them a smaller group to start with.