GPLv3 & GNU/Linux, or maybe Linux/GNU ???

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 10 01:07:28 UTC 2006

Ivan Avery Frey wrote:
> Madison Kelly wrote:
>
>> I don't have much to add, because I try to stay away from these
>> ideological debates (do *you* want to get between Stallman and
>> Torvalds?). In the end, as a small-time developer of a little project
>> on the periphery of GNU/Linux (yes, I went there!), I am just happy
>> these guys are tearing into each other about freedom. So long as the
>> "tearing" remains professional and civil, good will come of it. The
>> end result will likely be some amalgam of the two ideologies that will
>> protect our freedom to tinker better than either alone could do.
>
> Spoken like a true Hegelian, ;-)

Extend the apparently contradictory poles from Hegel into a Marxist dialectic,
and we soon arrive back at the issue of communist patent-hating developers that
appeared on this list a short while ago--having traversed nearly 200 years of
Western philosophical thought in the process. Sweet!

Perhaps both camps need to recognize just how much their positions are defined
by the Other ;) Linux is about philosophy, see?

Coming down on the side of Stallamn for a moment, if nothing else, our quick
jaunt through history lends credence to Stallman's status as an important
ideologue, since his philosophy and ethics mark him as a patent deontoligist
(Kant is/was a well known deontologist).

Jamon