Help Printer sharing Ubuntu -> FC4

Ivan Avery Frey ivan.frey-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 9 13:57:03 UTC 2006

Lance F. Squire wrote:
> Ok, at some point today FC could see the Ubuntu printer. Unfortunatly, I
> have since lost it.
>
> Here are the presumably relevent bits from the cups files on the Ubuntu
> machine.
>
> /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
>
> # Restrict access to the server...
> <Location />
>   Order Deny,Allow
>   Deny From All
>   Allow localhost
>   Allow @LOCAL
>   Allow From 192.168.5.*
> </Location>
>
> /etc/cups/cups.d/ports.conf
>
> #Listen localhost:631
> Port 631
> Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
>
> I have also added a line in /etc/hosts on the FC machine pointing to the
> Ubuntu machine.

Is the server broadcasting the printer?

You may need to check this section:

# BrowseAddress: specifies a broadcast address to be used.  By
# default browsing information is not sent!
#
# Note: HP-UX does not properly handle broadcast unless you have a
# Class A, B, C, or D netmask (i.e. no CIDR support).
#
# Note: Using the "global" broadcast address (255.255.255.255) will
# activate a Linux demand-dial link with the default configuration.
# If you have a LAN as well as the dial-up link, use the LAN's
# broadcast address.
#
# The @LOCAL address broadcasts to all non point-to-point interfaces.
# For example, if you have a LAN and a dial-up link, @LOCAL would
# send printer updates to the LAN but not to the dial-up link.
# Similarly, the @IF(name) address sends to the named network
# interface, e.g. @IF(eth0) under Linux.  Interfaces are refreshed
# automatically (no more than once every 60 seconds), so they can
# be used on dynamically-configured interfaces, e.g. PPP, 802.11, etc.
#

#BrowseAddress x.y.z.255
#BrowseAddress x.y.255.255
#BrowseAddress x.255.255.255