Yet more mindless self promotion

John Myshrall jmyshrall-6duGhz7i8susTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 9 13:31:48 UTC 2006

Jamon Camisso wrote:
> JoeHill wrote:
>> On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 23:50:28 -0500
>> Jamon Camisso got an infinite number of monkeys to type out:
>>
>>> Having problems with CS:S myself, it runs for a few minutes then
>>> locks up
>>> hard. Wine, Cedega, doesn't matter.
>>
>> Oh, if you only knew what I've been through, lo these many weeks.
>> Let's put it
>> this way: I've got so much buggy Windows crap installed at this
>> point, I might
>> as well be dual-booting.
>>
>> CS fans slag it to hell, but I've got an Urban Terror (Q3 mod) server
>> running
>> here. Standard port, just ping freeyourmachine.org (never mind the
>> website,
>> hopelessly neglected and lame anyway...).
>>
>> Just lookin' fer people to blow up (or, more likely, blow me up). Set
>> it up for
>> my nephews who are now too cool to hang with me, and my daughter,
>> according to
>> my *wife*, should not be playing with H&K MP5's (but they're so
>> *cute*!) ;)
>>
>> For now it's just running with a bunch of dumb bots, but I usually
>> jump on
>> there at night for a few quick frags, and anyone who wants to blow my
>> head off (most of this list? LOL!) can message me through ICQ
>> (280779813) or
>> Yahoo (j04h1ll).
>>
>> Anyhow, it's running on a new project based on the open Q3 code,
>> ioquake3.org. Gentoo users can just 'emerge quake3', though I'm not
>> sure how
>> much easier that is than running a freakin' .run file ;)
>>
>> The Urban Terror mod is available here:
>>
>> http://www.urbanterror.net/news.php
>>
>> Kinda a big download, but it's worth it. Graphics are waaaaay cooler
>> than CS!
>>
>> /ducks
>>

> Heh, I like Tremulous myself, same thing, based on Q3 engine. Aliens
> and humans meet in a first person shooter real time strategy blend.
> Fast paced (like Quake), looks great, super stable, and the number of
> servers is growing everyday. I'll check out Urban Terror though,
> sounds great.
> --
Tremulous rocks !  Nexuiz is good as well. Both are free and open source.

My son and I play. His machine is a Sempron 900 with 384 MB Ram & 64 MB
Gforce. He gets usually 60 fps. Not fantastic but workable. Mine is an
XP 1800  with 512 MB & 128 Fx5200 gets 90 fps.

I actually want to put up a dedicated Tremulous server myself.

John