GPL question

Simon simon80-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 8 17:47:49 UTC 2006

This would apply if he was trying to mix GPL and proprietary code, but
that isn't the case.

As far as I know, you would make it clear that it's ok by clearly
marking in the source file that the copyright for the code in question
belongs to you, and is licensed for use in the proprietary software
you're embedding it in.  That way someone can see in both the GPL code
and the proprietary code (or not, since it's closed source) that you
hold the copyright, and that in either case it is being used under a
license.

Another subtle example of multi licensed code is in something like
Windows, where the same cade can be reused in different products, like
different editions of XP or Vista, with different licensing terms.  So
yes, as long as you hold the copyright, you can do this.  If your
employer insists that they own the copyright on any code you give
them, you won't be able to do this without sorting that out.  A
sufficiently permissive license should be enough for them though.

Simon