GPL question

E K ekg_ab-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 8 17:44:40 UTC 2006

But then that particular work must be covered under different license. What is more interesting, though, is whether Trolltech can sue someone for using the GPL released one, as SCO did and Novell/MS partnership is implicating/threatening?

EK

John Vetterli <jvetterli-zC6tqtfhjqE at public.gmane.org> wrote: On Wed, 8 Nov 2006, E K wrote:
> I see that self contradictory. On one of the term of the GPL is that one
> can not take away the right of the user on derivative works as well. I think
> as a copyright owner you have the right to license it under different
> liceses, eg. creative commons license. But I am not sure if you can license
> the same work under contradictory license agreements and which will take
> effect if and when a dispute arise.

Trolltech does that with their licensing for Qt -- you can get the Open Source
version and be bound by the GPL, or you can buy a commercial version.
See www.trolltech.com .

JV