Microsoft/Novell

ted leslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 8 02:31:00 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 21:07 -0500, James Knott wrote:
> John McGregor wrote:
> > Much has been made here and elsewhere about the doomsday pact that
> > Novell made with Microsoft and how it bodes evil for Linux in general.
> > However, I have the gut feeling that Novell and only Novell found itself
> > in the deep shit. Today I came across this press announcement on Linux
> > World for Suse Enterprise Server 10 (originally publishedat
> > approximately the same time as Novell states the negotiations with
> > Microsoft began). Here is a selected quote form the article that is
> > particularly telling:
> >
> > "The company also announced the Open Workspace Suite, a software package
> > which includes GroupWise collaboration, ZENworks and Open Enterprise
> > Server. Users of the Novell Open Workspace Suite can deploy either
> > Windows XP or SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop on their workstations or
> > laptops.'
> >
> > My bet is that this goes way beyond Samba and getting it to work
> > required that Novell go wading in the Microsoft minefield. In the
> > process, Novell gave Baldy, whose favourite hobby is spewing
> > vituperative fud, enough ammunition to keep him happy for a long time.
> > For the rest of us, simply avoiding Novell's solution (like the plague
> > it is) will keep us well away from Microsoft's designs.
> >
> > The full article can be found here:
> > http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2006/032006-novell-suse-linux.html
>
> While I have also been concerned, one thing I've noticed is that MS is
> paying Novell far more than Novell is paying MS.  Novell is not paying
> for patents.  It is paying for a protection rac^H^H^H^H^H^H an agreement
> not to be sued, should any MS patents be violated.  The agreement also
> covers making some things work better with Windows etc.  My read of the
> various articles shows that it's not the doomsday scenario many make it

I agree . no doomsday, in fact i think MS believes in trend
analysis/extrapolation, and it sees the end is destine so it
A) hopes Vista and MS-Cluster, etc saves them, and changes the trend,
B) is taking steps (you ready for this, you heard it here first :)  )
	to being a full linux disto, contributer, may be hijacker,
	in 6 years, as they believe its better to sell Linux (support for, and
addons) to a huge customer base that is already pablum feed by them,
then to die with Vista, and whatever is next. Much easier to stay rich
selling Linux for 150$ (with some windows media shit), and join sell to
MS-office , etc then to sell 199$ MS O/S to far far less people.
MS is just ramping up to be the largest Linux retailer there is,
and when I get a free minute, I'll have to ask myself what I and the
community will think about this when it happens, on one hand, Linux won,
on the other hand MS still has a relatively high market cap, and proves
yet again, crime does pay. I can see the tag line now:

"Microsoft Linux 2012 - setting a new standard for performance and
reliability"

-tl