Microsoft/Novell

Mike Kallies mike.kallies-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 7 22:35:27 UTC 2006

On 11/7/06, Alex Beamish <talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> And the best result would be that any suit that Microsoft launches will
> prompt the USPTO to get their act together and be made to realize that it's
> ridiculous to patent something like FAT, how to make a cursor by inverting
> the image at a particular screen location, or one-click shopping (the Amazon
> patent).

I've been wondering if the OEM copies of Windows which MS thrusts on
everyone with their machines gives everyone rights to use just about
any patented methods MS could think up.

I can use FAT through Windows.  The copyright and the patent aren't
linked, so I should be able to use the FAT patent any way I want.

-Mike