Handheld PDA units running Linux (or not)

Stan Witkowski Stan-PAleLrdANoqY+5vIsb+96wC/G2K4zDHf at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 7 05:58:17 UTC 2006

>On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 03:31:05PM -0500, Stan Witkowski wrote:
> >>Don't forget about another possibility, the Motorola E680i. More
> >>smartphone than PDA, but then the lines between them are blurring...
> >>http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/product/details.jsp?globalObjectId=103
>
> >Regretfully, not for my purposes.

> >- no development system on it (it's a phone...)

>I am not arguing your logic - you know your needs - but just because
>something is a phone does not mean that it doesn't have a development
>environment: http://www.trolltech.com/products/qtopia/greenphone
>"William O'Higgins Witteman" <william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>

Thanks - I stand corrected on that.

Out of curiosity, I had a look at the development environment, and pricing:

Greenphone Pricing

The Qtopia Greenphone development device itself costs $695 USD (not incl.
tax)
plus shipping and handling and must be ordered in conjunction
with an appropriate SDK license, as follows:

Greenphone SDK Professional
     * Development device $695 USD
     * License fee: There are various licensing options for Qtopia SDKs.

Greenphone SDK Light
     * Total cost: $890 USD + shipping/handling and applicable taxes

Greenphone Community SDK
     * Total cost: $695 USD + shipping/handling and applicable taxes

Whew!

I can't see paying that to develop a one-time application just for my
personal use,
especially one that I don't intend to sell.

Overall, nothing would please me more than to be able to buy (like a toaster)
an "appliance" kind of PDA that would allow me to generate stock charts at
will,
so that I NEVER had to do any (ugh) programming on it.
I'd pay around $1,000 for something like that, perhaps more.

I'm starting to lean towards not doing any of the work myself, and instead just
hiring some TLUG guy to do it. I'll have to give that some thought.

Stan.