Upgrading to Firefox 2.0?

Mike Kallies mike.kallies-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 6 17:39:18 UTC 2006

On 11/6/06, Simon <simon80-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Actually, there's a more relevant except from the GPL concerning this:
>
> "Finally, any free program is threatened constantly by software
> patents.  We wish to avoid the danger that redistributors of a free
> program will individually obtain patent licenses, in effect making the
> program proprietary.  To prevent this, we have made it clear that any
> patent must be licensed for everyone's free use or not licensed at all."
>
> Seems to me that this is identical to what Novell has done, licensed
> patents, but not for everyone.  I don't think it takes a lawyer to
> figure out that there's a conflict here.  I just hope somebody cares
> about combatting this FUD enough to take them to court and force their
> hand.

That's the preamble though, I don't *think* it has any bite.  I
actually think this is one place where the preamble is contradicted by
the license.  The GPL itself is very careful to not talk about "use"
and expressly says that it doesn't cover anything involving use.

"...Activities other than copying, distribution and modification are
not covered by this License; they are outside its scope. The act of
running the Program is not restricted, and..."

I'm not worried abotu the MS/Novell news, Novell is in a lot of
business other than just Linux.  I might be missing something but does
anyone have info that there is any connection between this agreement
and "Linux IP?"

-Mike