KnoppMyth event round-up

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 5 01:13:11 UTC 2006

On 04/11/06, Colin McGregor <colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Now, I am not sure as to a total body count, as some people
> came/went and I had my hands full. Still there were
> points where I counted 12 people in the room.

Excellent !

> Turns out Linuxcaffe would have been a problem site
> for this event, just too small for the size of crowd
> that showed up. My original plan was to have done this
> in the lobby of 169 Eastern, in the end we used the
> lunchroom which was a good size venue given the number
> of people that were there.

I disagree, Colin, we've had groups of 18 enthusiasts in the back (our
legal capacity is <30) and it's quite intimate and workable. We've got
3 ISPs, (at the moment) with two separate wide-open WiFi access points
and cat5 switches and power in every corner. We can rearrange tables
in any number of configurations, the projector is all set up and
ready, with full control of lighting and sound. The dark organic
coffees, sandwiches and pastries seem to go over well. Folks can rent
a laptop, and the most recent linux distros are local and ready to
burn. linuxcaffe is central, there's a bus stop at our door, a subway
stop one block away and parking. And last, but not least, we go out of
our way to invite groups of open source enthusiasts to gather here.
The venue IS suitable. That sort of thing happens here, in fact, the
ubuntu-ca group is putting together an Ubuntu for N00bs Workshop next
week (stay tuned for exact time)

So I'm delighted that your event was a success, you are of course free
to do it wherever you like, but please don't knock the caffe, as a
potential spot for that sort of thing. It makes me sad.

:-(

;-)

djp

djp-tnsZcVQxgqO2dHQpreyxbg at public.gmane.org