Microsoft/Novell Partnership

Ian Petersen ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 4 01:24:18 UTC 2006

> > Well, I _think_ the main point was about patents.  I think Microsoft
> > is asserting that "Linux" (which probably means more than just the
> > kernel) contains code that infringes upon Microsoft's patents.  If
>
> Using the Linux word as you and he uses the word is actually frowned upon. It's
> supposed to be called GNU/Linux. So Linux is mostly the kernel, although the
> aggregate is called Linux by users.

I know, which is why I put "Linux" in quotes and followed it with the
parenthetical.  I haven't watched the press conference more than once,
so my memory of it is questionable, but, IIRC, Ballmer referred to
"Linux" and I assumed he was using it to mean "free software", "open
source software", "gratis software", or something other than just the
kernel.  He also referred to  intellectual property--another term that
RMS despises for its vagueness.  I don't think Ballmer's up on the
Free Software world's version of politically correct.  (Or he
willfully ignores it.)

> And the GPL which covers most of the
> aggregate does not permit 'limitations' of the kind Ballmer assumes.

I disagree, or, at least, I wouldn't bet on it.  The GPL says,
basically, "I have own the copyrights to this work.  If you abide by
this list of rules, you have otherwise unfettered permission to do
whatever you want with it."  My understand of US law (which is
hampered by me being neither American nor a lawyer) is that a person
who creates a work that infringes on another's patent without
permission does not have the authority to allow third parties to use
that work.  In fact, no one is even allowed to _create_ such a work,
never mind use it or redistribute it.  My understanding of the
Microsoft-Novell agreement is that Microsoft is giving permission to
Novell customers to use its patented "stuff" (alogrithms, whatever).
Once a Novell customer has the right to use Microsoft's patents, the