The "Net Neutrality War" comes to Canada.

Pavel Zaitsev pavel-XHBUQMKE58M at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 3 03:53:58 UTC 2006

> On the other hand wouldn't it be nice if rogers wasn't allowed to slow
> down people's bittorrent traffic?

I think bit torrent is a bad case, in some ways, because it is really a
stress tester, for consumer grade network. It is one thing leeching
1MB/s from some site, over TCP. It is another, having bazillion packets
with wild variation in their parameters come to users. They would have
to upgrade their routing equipment if they'd support torrents and they'd
rather not do that. There IS now allowance of 100GB per user, so why not
alleviate bt? because it is more then just bandwidth. Even reasonable
home linksys routers have trouble dealing with couple of of BT
downloads. Imagine with kind of load they have at CO.

Yes I agree BT has pushed possibility of catching someone into another
level, and so it has pushed the network as well.

There are plenty of other interesting applications are at risk, if we
aren't careful, all we have open to the internet is port 80 and friends.
Technically they should loose their common carrier status, which they
really don't want to do.
2cents,
	Pavel