Microsoft/Novell Partnership

ted leslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 3 16:10:02 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 10:40 -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 10:20:18PM -0500, ted leslie wrote:
> > As a programmer who doesn't want, "write once, write anything***,
> > deploy anywhere"? and not recompile, and don't have ifdef's from hell.
> > (where *** is  scripting, web apps, GUI apps, browser plugins, and c#
> > isn't to much of a departure away from C, so you can stay in the loop if
> > you have to write any linux kernel stuff, which will be C for probably
> > another 20 years at least).
>
> Lets see: people writing code for embedded systems don't want that.
> They want something small and efficient.  People writing games don't
> want that.  They want something efficient so they can make their game
> run faster and have more effects so it looks better than that other
> games.

With quad cores being norm in 1 year and 8-core maybe in 2?,
and such a pathetic use of this technology by all involved,
the extra cores will take a CLI system and make it perform
better then most things that are not under active development.
If we were still in a single core world, i'd agree,
but since (with cell, amd dual/quad core), its just simply not
going to happen. The days of efficient languages on a single core, even
down to assembly are coming to a quick end. The extra 3 cores that are
just sitting there idle, will be able to optimize and cache the
CLI to a efficient form. For calls to do shading , poly draw, etc,
those are going to be C/asm , and mostly in the card HW anyways.
CLI on 8 cores is plenty to get whatever game your going to need.

And in time C# will compile down to what C does anyways (down to native
compiler) , so as far as parking your "programming time" in front of one
language/platform, Mono still (will) have everything C will have
anyways. So you just get the best of everything in one place. all be it
if you choose to use C# native comp'd you will not get x-platfrom
independance. but atleast a recompile will be relatively easy on the
other platform.