The "Net Neutrality War" comes to Canada.

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 2 18:31:50 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 01 November 2006 20:40, Walter Dnes wrote:
>   Duh... nice website youse got there Mr. Webmaster.  Now youse
> wouldn't want something terrible to happen; like your website might
> load slowly or not load at all.  For only a few thousand per month
> in protection... err I mean "transit tariff", we can see to it that
> nothing terrible happens to your website.
>
> http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20061101.gtneutr
>ality1101/BNStory/Technology/home
> http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20061101.gtvideo
>tron01/BNStory/Technology/home

This makes an argument for taking control over the last mile from the
two monopolists, Rogers and Bell and their counterparts in other
parts of Canada, by creating community fiber projects everywhere. A
good place to learn about this is here:
<http://www.canarie.ca/canet4/library/list.html> and here:
<http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2006/pulpit_20060629_000351.html>.
We should not be fooled by promises of faster access, as Bell is
making, where they're test marketing 18Mb/s access in a few places.
What is conveniently omitted is that the upload rate is capped at a
ridiculous 1Mb/s. That's not "broadband". As long as we allow these
media companies that pose as ISPs to be the choke point on the last
mile, they will never behave like they would be forced to in a truly
competitive environment. Force them to meet us at designated exchange
points where they can compete with other bandwidth providers for our
business. They'll either compete or bow out, both of which are good
outcomes for the market.

If we go by this: <http://www.newnetworks.com/broadbandscandals.htm>,
we probably have a $20 billion scandal of our own here in Canada, if
we follow the usual 10:1 rule-of-thumb for comparisons between the
U.S.A. and Canada.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay