Rogers and BitTorrent: another datapoint

Ilya Palagin tux-4CS0UopE6WdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 1 22:50:11 UTC 2006

Quoting Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>:

> On Sat, Oct 28, 2006 at 01:23:28PM -0400, Michael MacLeod wrote:
>> Any programmer that only knows one language well isn't worth the time of
>> day. A decent programmer is going to be able to look at the problem,
>> determine if OO is a good fit or not, and use any of a number of languages
>> they know well, both OO and not, to solve the problem.
>
> I use many different languages depending on what I am doing.

Right, just like any other tool, every language has its own purpose.

>> People that rail against Java - or any language - as not being a good fit
>> for everything under the sun or for being the latest 'fad' in computers
>> (despite being 15 years old) seem to have missed something important. I
>> wouldn't ask a contractor to build me a house with only a hammer, so there's
>> no reason why programmers should feel compelled to use only a single tool.
>
> I just am not convinced that there was anything java was good at.  It
> has gotten better over the years, while causing tons of frustration
> along the way.

Did you have a chance to work on an application, which is able to run
on more than one server at once to provide user sessions and database
connections failover and "smart" load balancing (for example, to avoid
creating new user sessions on a server which is loaded more than
others)? These useful features are widely used today.  What technology
would you recommend to implement such a requirement?