cfengine

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 1 19:43:43 UTC 2006

On 11/1/06, Neil Watson <tlug-neil-8agRmHhQ+n2CxnSzwYWP7Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Do any of you have any experiences with cfengine that you would like to
> share?  I'm considering using it and like to know about any caveats
> before hand.

- We have some security-paranoid sysadmins who have been very
concerned about the fact that cfengine likes to do things "as root."
They'd sorta like it if it used "sudo" to do those things, although
there is the concommittant problem that all you're doing, in that
case, is to shove the scary security complexity into the sudo
configuration.

- Monitoring that it's working  *and doing what you imagined it should
have been doing* is a bit challenging.

- People have a hard time wrapping their heads around how
nondeterministic it is.
Oddly enough, this is completely standard behaviour for shells. This
is a roundabout way of saying `don't use combined chains of `&&'s and
`||'s unless you think Gödel's theorem is for sissies'.