Rogers and BitTorrent: another datapoint

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 1 15:16:51 UTC 2006

On Sat, Oct 28, 2006 at 01:35:42AM -0400, Ilya Palagin wrote:
> It can.  Use static methods and forget about objects, think of methods
> as of procedures.
> Does compiling "hello world" give enough experience to consider Java to
> be so bad? :-)

No but trying to get 3rd party SDK libraries to compile and run on a
system does make you go nuts.  Sun has done a terrible job at making it
easy to use.  They keep changing the language and the associated
libraries.  I am not sure whether that means they did a bad job in the
first place and were trying to fix it, or it they just can't resist
feature creep.  Both are bad.

The problem with sun is that sometimes their inventions are great, and
sometimes they suck, and everyone gets sucked into using them either way
because you never know, they all sound good, so they just might be.  I
have yet to be convinced java is a better language than many of the
languages that came before it, and so far what I have learned about it
makes me fairly sure it is not.  Then again this hasn't stopped
visualbasic from being popular.  Being good isn't required, just make it
seem easy and throw lots of advertising behind it and you will convince
someone with dicision power that it is what they want it done in.

--
Len Sorensen