Stats + Web Software

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 1 03:46:14 UTC 2006

On 10/31/06, Zbigniew Koziol <softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> There is rather no something like that around. I mean - I would rather do
> things by myself, using perl and PHP. Perl is excellent for analysis of text
> data (I am not teaching you;) HTML needed, combined with JavaScript, is in
> fact simple, though on a bit higher level than what we mostly see around.
>
> Or perhaps I did not quite understand the question.

Definitely not.

Perl is perfectly good at text-munging.

Which I am totally uninterested in, as the data that I have is
*highly* structured, stored in relational database tables.

What I'm interested in running various sorts of statistical analyses
on that data.  The sorts of things for which one would use R, PSPP,
Octave, Matlab, and the like.

You can generate some pretty impressive summary graphs with R; it
generates some mighty elegant Postscript output, from the perspective
of looking at the PS code.

Of course, that's not my interest; what I want is to turn the results
into web pages for deployment via a web server.
--
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/math.html
Oddly enough, this is completely standard behaviour for shells. This