Wine tips (Was: Some good news for a change -- WINE)

Jason Spiro jasonspiro-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed May 31 00:07:10 UTC 2006

On 5/28/06, Paul King <pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I have not tried the "standard" windows programs which nearly everyone
> can run, like Solitaire, but these are ones I have not heard of anyone
> trying successfully. It is of no surprise that WINE still cannot run the
> vast majority of Microsoft binaries -- at least, not the ones I have.

FYI, this is the generic set of tips I always give people who are
getting started with Wine:

    * Just run: wine setup.exe
    * If the installer does not work, install the program on a PC with
Windows and copy over the directory from C:\Program Files onto your
Linux box.
    * Then run: wine executable_name.exe

If the app does not run, look for tips at http://appdb.winehq.org -
search for your program using the search box on the left. Wine
development goes quickly. A new Wine version comes out every 2 weeks.
There may be other tips you need to know, such as installing native
DLLs or making other changes using the winecfg tool.

Ask on Freenode channel #winehq or on the mailing list at
http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.wine.user where they'll be
glad to help you. They can also tell you if you should file a bug
report or not.

With your help, Wine can be made better for everyone.

Please CC me directly on all replies.
Cheers,
Jason

--