Before you think of being a do-gooder...

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue May 30 16:31:43 UTC 2006

On 5/30/06, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 08:53:30PM +0000, Christopher Browne wrote:
> > This isn't a "feature"; this is a "mitigation of a problem."  If your
> > game didn't interact badly with your OS, then this wouldn't be
> > necessary.
>
> That is very true, but as long as Microsoft has their current coding
> standards, I think it might be useful.  For Linux, I am not sure if it
> has much purpose.  For hosting servers it could be useful to give eazch
> customer their own virtual server that they can do what they want with.
> For a Linux desktop user, I am not sure if there is a benefit.  I guess
> some would think being able to run windows on top of Linux for some
> applications would be useful.

I suppose it's an answer to Microsoft's incompetence, for that
particularly heavyweight environment.

As an application on Linux, for Linux, it strikes me as being *way*
less interesting.

The BSD "jail" approach is a spectacularly more efficient mechanism
for creating "virtual machines."

The usual Unix model involves process 0 running init, which then
spawns everything else.

With "jails," user space processes run a special version of init,
which then encloses a set of related processes in their own respective
"jail."

If you need to create a virtual mail server, it doesn't require an
extra kernel; you will essentially just have:
a) A /bin defined that's got the needful programs linked into it
b) A /var/spool area specific to the mail server
c) A tiny set of additional processes

Indeed, having a "jailed" mail server would only be trivially more
expensive than having it outside the jail, as far as memory and disk
requirements are concerned.

http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/current/doc/chroot-login-howto.html
Oddly enough, this is completely standard behaviour for shells. This
is a roundabout way of saying `don't use combined chains of `&&'s and
`||'s unless you think Gödel's theorem is for sissies'.