Question about Debian Unstable & Stable

Tue May 30 14:46:14 UTC 2006

On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 09:26:25AM -0400, bassix-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org wrote:
>On 5/29/06, Jason Spiro <jasonspiro-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>
>>3. Failing that, use Debian testing. Testing is far more reliable than
>>unstable.
>
>I never knew that. Thanks for the suggestion.

I use testing on a couple of my machines, and I find it a nice balance
between "everything-changing-all-the-time-latest-and-greatest-craziness"
of unstable and the "everything-works-I'm-stuck-with-two-year-old-
features" of stable.  Testing has security updates, so you are generally
losing nothing.

When I want something new and exciting what I'll do is change my
/etc/apt/sources.list to draw from unstable, then do an "apt-get update"
and then an "apt-get install $SHINY_NEW_THING" and then change my
sources.list back to testing.  The shiny new thing (most recently Vim
7.0, very spiffy) is essentially pinned until testing catches up to that
version, and then everything moves forward together.  Generally though,
testing has everything I want in it.
--

yours,

William