Before you think of being a do-gooder...

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon May 29 21:45:45 UTC 2006

Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> Contrast this to the tech fashion inflicted by vendors, such as the
> current geekism-du-jour, virtualization. This is a creation of vendors
> to address a problem that doesn't exist for most people -- yet
> Microsoft, Novell and Red Hat seem to agree that we need it. Most
> businesses can't keep *one*  OS under control, now vendors are telling
> them they need to run multiple environments PLUS the supervisor system
> that runs it all.

One point that IBM made, at the recent Real World Linux conference was
the idea of running multiple instances of Linux on a large system.  That
method delivers a lot of economies to someone running multiple servers,
compared to a bunch of x86 boxes. An example is a virtual lan between
virtual servers, that runs at memory speed, rather than "only" 1 or 10 Gb/s.