Question about Debian Unstable & Stable

bassix-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org bassix-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon May 29 14:14:00 UTC 2006

On 5/29/06, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Well if you change your sources.list to stable when you run unstable,
> you won't see any updates anymore since everything in stable is older
> versions.  You won't see any security fixes either of course.
>
> Isn't it simpler to simply stop upgrading?  The end result is the same,
> at least for a couple of years. :)
>
> Len Sorensen

Yeah, I guess that's true. I was not sure exactly how far behind
stable was to unstable.

I may just choose to upgrade selectively... being on dialup that is
usually the best way anyway. I just screwed up a few things with some
of the last upgrades and dist-upgrades. No one to blame but myself, as
everyone is aware of the risks (small or minor as they usually are)
involved in more major upgrades. I'd say I am an *intermediate*
newbie... sort of like a guy that knows how to change the oil, then
thinks, heck, I'll try changing the brakes, then can't put everything
back together again the right way! LOL At least re-installing linux is
easier than getting a whole new car...

-Steve.