Some good news for a change -- WINE

Paul King pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sun May 28 23:16:37 UTC 2006

Well, as many of you know, things are still not great in the
printing/CUPS department, but there were some things gained in using
WINE, under Debian Sarge.

Applications I now have been able to run under WINE:

fathom
  -- an math educational product used widely in Ontario schools

WinOOt Version 4
  -- Turing for Windows works on WINE

foobar 2000
  -- I think there is a Linux version of this, but the Windows one seems
     useable under WINE.

Unfortunately, Palm's PalmDesktop could not be run under WINE. And there
is no reliably-configured substitute (at least not right now).

I have not tried the "standard" windows programs which nearly everyone
can run, like Solitaire, but these are ones I have not heard of anyone
trying successfully. It is of no surprise that WINE still cannot run the
vast majority of Microsoft binaries -- at least, not the ones I have.

I imagine many of these failures to be permanent. For example, I have
many applications with some .dll's and .ini's on C: while the
installation directory may be on e: or f:. To add further to the
complexity, many installations have decided to have yet another part of
their binaries coexist in a directory called "shared program files" or
something like that. Without access to the registry (another headache in
itself), WINE won't be able to get most applications off the ground.

Paul King