cups and my network printer

Paul King pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Fri May 26 22:56:53 UTC 2006

CC'ed as requested

On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 13:13 -0400, Jason Spiro wrote:
> On 5/25/06, Paul King <pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > Thanks to Jason Spiro for a suggestion I haven't thought of.
> My pleasure.
> >
> [snip]
> > There is a tool called "cupsdconf" which tells me "Unable to retrieve
> > configuation file from CUPS server." It tells me that I may not have
> > permission to access these files. It also tells me this when I am root.
>
> You are on Debian?

Yes. Sarge (stable).

> Is CUPS installed and running?

Installed, but it doesn't seem to be running.

> Try these. What do you get?
>
> ps aux | grep cups | grep -v grep

Nothing.

> sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys status

Usage: /etc/init.d/cupsd {start|stop|restart|force-reload}

It doesn't seem as if "status" is on the parameter list for cupsd.
Starting cupsd again (/etc/init.d/cupsys start) results in no process
being started, and ps aux (as above) does not show "cups" at all.