wget

Jason Shein jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri May 26 21:17:40 UTC 2006

On Friday 26 May 2006 16:15, Daniel Armstrong wrote:
> I am trying out wget to do unattended downloads by attempting to
> retrieve a series of video files, but it fails because it first tries
> to download the index.html file which - in this particular case - the
> directory does not have.
>
> The situation:
>
> If I point Firefox to http://ocw.mit.edu/ans7870/7/7.012/f04/video/ I
> get a blank page... I take this to mean there is no index.html file at
> this location?
>
> If I use wget to download a single video file from this location:
>
> wget \
> http://ocw.mit.edu/ans7870/7/7.012/f04/video/ocw-7.012-lec-mit-10250-22oct2
>004-1000-220k.rm
>
> ...it works as expected.
>
> But I would like to know how to use wget to download *all* the video
> files of a certain compression size with a single command. I checked
> the manpage and used the "-A" option to specify a filetype, using this
> command:
>
> wget -A "*220k.rm" http://ocw.mit.edu/ans7870/7/7.012/f04/video/
>
> ...which returns the following error...
>
> --16:10:53--  http://ocw.mit.edu/ans7870/7/7.012/f04/video/
>            => `index.html'
> Resolving ocw.mit.edu... 209.123.81.89, 209.123.81.96
> Connecting to ocw.mit.edu|209.123.81.89|:80... connected.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
> 16:10:53 ERROR 404: Not Found.
>
> How do I manage to setup wget to ignore the fact that there is no
> index.html at this location, and just download the *.rm files I
> requested? wget would be a perfect tool for downloading a series of
> files like this unattended vs. downloading each file by hand
> one-by-one... Thanks in advance for any help.

If you are using firefox, first install the download-them-all extension.
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/201/

Then go here:
http://oops.editme.com/IntroductionToBiology

Right click on the page and select "Download them all..."

Go to the "additional filters" and add 220k.rm as an extension.

And download away!

The full list of courses available are here:
http://oops.editme.com/listofcourses

--
Jason Shein
Director of Networking, Operations and Systems
jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
( 905 ) - 876 - 4158 Voice
( 905 ) - 876 - 5817 Mobile
http://www.detachednetworks.ca
On-Site Computer Services - Available 24/7