[OT-ish] diagnosing serial port functionality?

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Fri May 26 13:57:19 UTC 2006

Hi folks,

I'm having lots of trouble syncing my Palm V to my new, fast computer
(ASUS A8N-SLI MoBo, amd 380+ dual-core cpu).  Usually I use a
serial-to-usb adaptor to connect my serial-out cradle to my computer,
but I'm beginning to think there's some hardware problem with the
adaptor (the data it sends tends to crash the usb modules).  SO I want
to hook up directly via the serial port.  On my laptop this method
seems to work (e.g., pilot-link -p /dev/ttyS0 -l is successful).
However on my new desktop I get no data coming out of /dev/ttyS0 (cat
/dev/ttyS0 produces no output).  The serial setup on this board is
wierd -- I have to plug a serial adaptor into a spot on the mainboard,
and attach it to one of the slots in the case.  I wonder
whetherthere's any wayto test whether it's attached correctly?  THe
/dev/ttyS0 device is created and gives no errors when I try to cat it
(unlike /dev/tty/S1+), but again, no data comes through when I attach
the palm pilot & press hotsync.

thanks for any advice you got!

matt

 .''`.       Matt Price