cups and my network printer

Paul King pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Fri May 26 02:58:00 UTC 2006

Thanks to Jason Spiro for a suggestion I haven't thought of. While it
did not succeed, it brings up a question as to why it didn't.

He suggested that I run kdeprint and use that to configure CUPS. Running
kdeprint under GNOME yielded a myriad of errors as suggested earlier in
this thread, so I ran it under KDE. I got nowhere with the tool, since
the menu which I am supposed to use to select CUPS was greyed out. In
fact, ALL of the options were greyed out, and it was impossible to get
beyond that dialog. This remained true when using KDE as root.

There is a tool called "cupsdconf" which tells me "Unable to retrieve
configuation file from CUPS server." It tells me that I may not have
permission to access these files. It also tells me this when I am root.

Using nmap -p- <ip_address> generated the following:

21/tcp   open     ftp
23/tcp   open     telnet
156/tcp  filtered sqlsrv
457/tcp  filtered scohelp
515/tcp  open     printer
560/tcp  filtered rmonitor
1987/tcp filtered tr-rsrb-p1
2903/tcp filtered extensisportfolio
3141/tcp filtered vmodem
7004/tcp filtered afs3-kaserver
7010/tcp filtered ups-onlinet
9100/tcp open     jetdirect

SO, it seems as though there are several interesting services open here,
but maybe there is something wrong with how cups got installed?

Paul King