info and man

Peter King peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu May 25 21:27:26 UTC 2006

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 12:32:03AM -0400, John Macdonald wrote:

> On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 11:00:49PM +0100, david thornton wrote:
> > I dunno what all the fuss is abut.
> >
> > Took me a couple of days to learn what I needed to walk around info.
> >
> > nearly the same amount of time to learn how to get around vi.
> >
> > I mean gawd, it's a document viewer, how hard does it have to be?
>
> Yeah, I take a few hours to learn info keystrokes every six
> months or so - i.e. every time I have no other choice for
> getting a piece of documentation.  In the mean time, I use less
> many time a day to control viewing the output from any of the
> thousands of programs that can generate more than a page of
> output at a time.  Since they all just generate a stream of
> text, I get to use the same viewing program for all of them,
> and I only had to learn the interface once.  (Well, a few
> times - pg, page, more and less each had their turn as the
> best choice available; but none of them were tied to any
> input requirement other than a text stream.)

I agree. Let me mention two very useful programs:

  o  most  (rather than more or less etc.)
  o  pinfo -- which is an ncurses-based way to navigate
              info, and straightforward enough not to need
	      memorizing before using.

Three cheers for man!

Peter King			 	peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Department of Philosophy
215 Huron Street
The University of Toronto		    (416)-978-4951 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5S 1A1
       CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/

GPG keyID 0x7587EC42 (2B14 A355 46BC 2A16 D0BC  36F5 1FE6 D32A 7587 EC42)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7587EC42