colocation for servers

Justin Weissig jweissig-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue May 23 20:00:26 UTC 2006

I'd suggest looking at the major telcos in your area and see if they
offer co-location services. These tier 1 providers are the way to go
and they have a vested interested in making sure the network has 100%
connectivity.

Although no one can grantee uptime it's much more likely that you will
have a better experience with these guys.

You should ask about rack space, connection type, and bandwidth
charges. You should expect to pay around $200 - $300 for a simple 1U
server and a capped 10Mbp/s connection. You can probably get yourself
a tour also - they love to show off their facilities.

Sometimes a cheaper option would be to simple rent hardware from
someone like serverbeach.com for $199/month - they look after the
server failures and network (although you maintain the server) and you
can focus on the site.

- Justin