internet cafes

Paul Apking papking-SHEVDZ1kpJ4gvB26Rb+75tBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org
Tue May 23 01:12:46 UTC 2006

Where is the linux cafe located?

-----Original Message-----
From: "Aaron Vegh" <aaronvegh at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 20:39:16
To:tlug at ss.org
Subject: Re: [TLUG]: internet cafes

$2 for half an hour! That seems like a good rate, considering what you
pay at the majority of the coffee shops that charge $6 or $7 per hour.

All these Second Cups and Starbucks' are part of this hotspot alliance
sponsored by all the mobile phone carriers. As a self-employed guy
working out of the basement, I find these great places to go get some
work done and regain human contact. But the price for their WLAN
access, while not unaffordable, certainly rankles me from a
philosophical perspective. I actually found early on that if you paid
for the first hour and left hte computer on, you could stay connected
indefinitely. But this past week I did get bumped after an hour... so
I left.

Does anyone know about the arrangement these coffee shops have with
this system? Are they actually making any money out of it? I.E., would
there be a financial benefit for them to use an alternative system and
give it away for free? I'm pretty sure I could do it for them, but I
would love to know the business argument before walking into such a
place.

Cheers,
Aaron.