gnash was: Linus Torvalds interview on CNN

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Sun May 21 21:28:59 UTC 2006

On Sun, 21 May 2006, Tom Watts wrote:

> Peter wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 21 May 2006, Tom Watts wrote:
>>
>>> This is the first I've heard of gnash and I really hate flash on Linux;
>>> it's outdated and it won't play sound if anything else is making noise.
>>> So, I downloaded, compiled and install gnash.  It had the same problems
>>> (no sound at all) and sometimes didn't play movies in webpages at all.  Is
>>> this just the current state of the software or is anyone using this as a
>>> replacement for flash?
>>
>> Flash works fine, upgrade your sound system to alsa and it will play
>> umpteen sources at once.
>>
>> Peter
>
> I've been using ALSA for a while now.  Perhaps I need to tell flash to use
> ALSA?

I am not sure. I think that you need to make sure that all the modules
that belonged to the sound system you ran before alsa went away/are not
loaded. I had similar problems (not with flash) and switched from oss to
alsa, and ever since I can use as many open sound devices as I like.
E.g. xmms, xine, two flash instances and the gong that sounds on certain
events also makes it. Alsa ensures at least 4 digital channels
(/dev/dsps) can work in parallel. Maybe deleting flash and reinstalling
it will fix it. Basically with alsa you can open 2 instances of xmms
(f.ex.) and both will play (cacophony results but that's the point). If
this wors then maybe there is a wrong symbolic link in /dev/ for dsp??.
Just guessing here.

Peter