info and man

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Sat May 20 08:57:51 UTC 2006

On Sat, 20 May 2006, Paul King wrote:

> What is the word on man? Is that being phased out? Do we now have  to
> store two formats of the same documentation? I noticed that doing an
> "info ls" gives me the manpage inside of info. Are they similar formats?

Man is not being phased out because noone can afford to translate tons
of old manpages (which defy machine translation). Instead, there is a
web interface both for man and for info.

Info navigation is 'emacsish' if that means anything to you. This makes
sense if you take into account who wrote it.

Peter